Licenses and Registrations

When you make the move to Conyers, the law requires all new residents obtain a Georgia driver’s license and transfer your motor vehicle tag and title registrations within 30 days. Get a Georgia driver’s license first with your new address since you will need it to transfer the vehicle title and registration.

Driver’s License

The local Georgia Department of Driver’s License Service office is located at 2206 Eastview Parkway in Conyers, Georgia 30012. Normal business days are Tuesday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Saturday, 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. This location issues licenses and identification cards, and performs written and road tests. For more information, call 770.918.5822.


When you go to get your driver’s license, you will have a fee of $20 for 5 years or $32 for 8 years. You will have the opportunity to register to vote at this time. You will be issued a temporary license until you receive a permanent license in the mail, usually within a few weeks.

What You Will Need

In addition to passing a vision exam and possibly taking a road test and written exam, there are several documents that you will need to bring. The documents must be originals or certified copies (faxes and photocopies are not acceptable) of the following:

  • 1 Primary Identification, such as a passport or birth certificate (the full list of acceptable identification can be viewed at
  • 1 Proof of Social Security, such as a social security card or W2 with your name and at least part of your social security number (the full list of acceptable documents can be viewed at; your name and number will be verified through the Social Security Administration an must exactly match
  • 2 Proofs of Residential Address, such as a utility bill or bank statement with your new Conyers address
  • Out-of-state driver’s license*
  • Additional Documentation for CDL and teen drivers (see list at
  • For name changes: complete trail of documentation supporting a name change. This might include marriage certificate/license, marriage application, divorce decree, court adoption decree/documentation, U.S. passport, or court petition of name change.
  • For non-citizens: immigration documentation (issuance will only be provided in the exact name as shown on this document)


*To transfer your driver’s license when you become a Georgia resident, you must be at least 18 years of age and relinquish your out-of-state license (current or if less than two years since it expired). When you provide your license you become exempt from the written and road tests. If you do not relinquish your out-of-state license, you will be required to take the written and road tests. More specific information is available online at if you are transferring licenses outside of the United States, have lost or had your license stolen, do not have your expired license, or are transferring an out-of-state CDL.

Other exceptions apply for drivers taking the tests. If you are transferring a learner’s permit from out-of-state, you will be required to take the written test. And if you are a driver transferring from a U.S. territory, you will be required to take both the written and road tests. You are responsible for making an appointment for the road test and allowing adequate time to arrive, process your information, and begin your written test at least 30 minutes before the office closes.

Motor Vehicle Tag and Title Registration

The Georgia Motor Vehicle Division offices handle all matters concerning your vehicle title and tag. The Rockdale County Tax Commissioner’s office is where you will specifically go to get your registration. This office is located in the county courthouse at 969 Pine Street, Conyers, Georgia 30012. The office is open normal business days on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. and 2 p.m. to 4:30 p.m., and then on Wednesday from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. and 2 p.m. to 6 p.m. For more information, call 678.278.9833.


To transfer each of your vehicle tag and title registrations, there will be a one-time title ad valorem tax. This tax is 7% of the value of the vehicle and is paid at the time of registration. The value is determined from the retail sales price for new vehicles, or by the Department of Revenue (DOR) for used or transferred vehicles. The DOR provides an online calculator to determine your title ad valorem tax at

Besides the ad valorem tax, there is a title application fee is $18 and the tag fee is $20, which is renewed annually. If your vehicle model is 1987 or older, you are not required to keep a title although you still must maintain a registered tag. The age exception does not apply to trailers weighing less than 2,000 pounds.

What You Will Need

Before you can get your vehicle registered, you will need to pass a Georgia emission inspection and update your insurance. By law, insurance companies are required to electronically transmit current insurance information to the state within 30 days. The insurance company will give you a binder agreement that is needed; an insurance card is not acceptable proof of insurance.

To prepare for transfer of your vehicle registered, the following documentation is needed:

  • Proof of insurance (insurance binder)
  • Vehicle mileage
  • Either the vehicle title or the lien holder’s name and address, if they hold the title
  • Owner’s certificate of registration
  • Valid Georgia driver’s license with current Rockdale County address
  • Original Georgia emissions report (visit
  • Application that is signed by all owners who are shown on the vehicle title/paperwork (this is available at the tag office)